The Humble Master, Gale Gand

I love women's luncheons! Beautiful people, great conversation, good
food, and of course the highlight of the afternoon, Executive Pastry Chef and partner, TRU Chicago, Gale Gand. If you are like me who loves to soak up all the great techniques that you can learn from the celebrity chef shows, you will understand how thrilled I was to hear of Gale's stories and great recipes. But I was more than impressed with what I learnt from Gale during her neighborly talk with us today!

Gale's family is truly an example of the essense of "artistic spirit". Her father is a singer and her mother an artist/sculptor. She found her calling when she was working as a waitress and the headchef did not show up one day. She was given the task to step into the role of cooking for the customers. She realized that she actually felt right at home as a chef and she pursued her dreams.

Some of her great stories that really touched my heart, was her experience in working with Julia Child. I grew up watching her ice that tasty looking cake and am at the moment reading the book, "My Life in France". I am totally a FAN of Julia Child. Can you imagine actually standing side by side with her working in the kitchen together? Wow! Yes, WOW!

Gale Gand was invited by Julia Child to appear in two episodes of the PBS show, Baking with Julia. Gale shared a technique that Julia used for her salad. She uses a turkey baster to take up the vinegrette from the bottom of the nicely stacked salad, then basted the vinegrette from the top of the stack not messing up the salad - Brilliant!

For sure, I will be visiting Gale's restaurant, TRU in Chicago fairly soon! To learn more about Gale, go to galegand@galegand.com Bon apetit!

The Bling Girl - annehaywood.com

Comments

Popular Posts