Divine Handmade

Define handmade.
 hand·made
ˈhan(d)ˈmād/
adjective
  1. made by hand, not by machine, and typically therefore of superior quality.
    "his expensive handmade leather shoes"

When we think about handmade goods, we often have the impression that it is of lesser quantity, more hours are being put into a piece of item and therefore, it is a one-of-a kind art piece.  

My love affair with handmade items started when I was a youngster, growing up in Hong Kong with not a lot of spending money.  I like browsing at the China Products Department Store in Hong Kong and admiring the arts and crafts from artisan of China.  It has been a fascinating experience and on top of that, the attractive price tag makes it possible for me to own them.  Handmade embroidery silk ballet flats, silk blouses with hand trimmed edges, delicate weaves of bamboo baskets, rosewood jewellery boxes with inlaid sea shells, hand painted fans, all so unique and special.

When I moved to Sydney, Australia, I got blown away by the aboriginal art. You have to see them with your own eyes to grasp the details and feel of it. 
I received much inspiration from the universe when I moved to Bangkok, Thailand.    This country is so resourceful and creative.  Since I love gemology, I can't help but noticed the vast opportunity of being able to get my hands on these fabulous gems at really reasonable price.
It was then that I started making my own jewellery for a past time hobby. Most people will be using plastic beads as a beginner but not me, I have to get all these lovely sapphires, rubies, silver beads, and create beautiful necklaces, pendants, belts, earrings for fun!  

Handmade might seem like a crafter's trade, but you will notice that a lot of the designer houses, like Hermes, Louis Vuitton, Van Cleef & Arpels, Salvatore Ferragamo, and the the list goes on have their own unique craftsmanship and skilled artisan who actually hand made their collection.  Each has a particular culture to their way of establishing their expectations and style.  If you own some of these labels, you will be able to tell the difference, in terms of quality, feel, and the durability of it.   It takes at least 40 hours for a master artisan to complete a Hermes bag.  It takes years of experience before a skilled worker can put together a pair of Ferragamo shoes.  It requires a particular expertise to create a beautiful Van Cleef & Arpel pendant.  I can talk about this topic forever, but all I can say is, we are in a world where everything is instant gratification, speedy output of data, quick supply of merchandise, and one thing, it is worth waiting for these Divine Handmade treasures!

Happy Day,
Anne - Bling Girl




Comments

Popular Posts